Thursday, September 09, 2010

Lino Block Printing....

As I mentioned in an earlier post
I have been learning lino block printing, thanks to my friend Catherine.
This is a print from one of my first lino blocks
(a nice simple design for a beginner, getting used to the feel of the carving tools in my hand)
I have had this print it sitting on my desk since June waiting for some finishing touches to make feel a little more like 'my style'. I completed this piece for my son, Jacob yesterday.

His middle initial is T, so I placed a T in the middle of the A :)
Jacob is turning 15 shortly
so the thought of direction is on my mind for him,
I guess this is where the arrows come from
and he is an incredible mathematician so I printed this piece onto one of my favourite Basic Grey Papers - perfect to reflect his love for Maths.
Under the vintage optical lens is a definition of 'believe' from an antique dictionary.
This is my carved lino tile,

~ everyone has to start somewhere ;)
already my carving has improved, thanks to some lovely new tools and a little practice.
and here is Jacob's print framed in a lovely deep box frame.
ooohhh....while I've got you here, can you see that tall vase,
it's actually a vintage preserving bottle
with a page from an old atlas lining the inside of it, cool hey!



Have a great week ♥

9 comments:

Tracy Evans said...

Simply stunning as always. This is absolutely fantastic, I love it. Such a unique piece of art. And that vase well, just gorgeous. They are all displayed beautifully in your picture too. Have a good day, Tracy Evans x

Rika said...

Fantastic Gillian, such a great piece!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

this is gorgeous Gillian! :) Love every detail!

Maryann said...

So inspirational Gillian and a worthy piece your son will,I'm sure, treasure forever.

Night Owl Designs said...

Oh, this is great! Perfect for a boy :-)

Anonymous said...

O wow. I have never seen anything like this before. I want to learn...

Sue McGettigan said...

Very fun project, love the way you added texture and dimension with the finishing details. I've always been curious about linocut but haven't tried it, yet ...

annette said...

Wow this looks great, takes me back to my high school days with lino cutting and the preserving jar is a great idea too :0)

Terrie said...

Wow, your work is amazing. I love the Alice one =] Thank you for my lovely comment, it means a lot coming from someone as talented as you! xx