Thursday, April 19, 2012

long trip in the car = crochet :)

 We are on school holidays here at the moment....
and last weekend we made the long trip up to Brisbane in the car
to help celebrate my Mother in Laws 70th B'day.
7ish hours in the car one way!
Most of my crochet projects are big ones at the moment,
too big to take in the front passenger seat ;)
 so I decided we needed some more washcloths.
This was a great car trip project,
as it was small to hold, little concentration needed.
I used Moda Vera Beetle 50% Cotton 50% Acrylic
Holding two strands together & 5mm hook
I love using this yarn,
the mix of 50% Cotton, 50% Acrylic makes it soft and durable
I know with the acrylic in the mix it isn’t quite as absorbent as 100%cotton when dry, but when wet the cloth works really well and keeps its shape beautifully over many, many washes.

The pattern is a free one from Bernat you can find it here
(you will need to sign in to access the pattern, but its a great site if you haven't already used it)
and the Ravelry page is here

Have a great day!
~ Gillian ♥

ps...I'm teaching myself to bake bread at the moment, if anyone knows of a good book on bread making please feel free to leave me book title & author in the comments :)

5 comments:

**Anne** said...

I always wondered about making wash cloths. Do you use them in the kitchen for dishes or in the bathroom for washing.
I have a Panasonic breadmaker and use a recipe from the old Panasonic recipe book. I don't buy pre-made mixes as I like to know exactly what is in my bread.
Good luck.
Anne xx

Gillian said...

Hi Anne,


Both, we use them in the kitchen and bathroom :)

I am making bread the old school way, using my kitchen aid mixer....all I have is the recipe that comes with the mixer for plain white bread, I'd love to learn some different types of breads.

There is nothing like the smell of home made bread filling the house is there :)

Anonymous said...

Making bread is such a nourishing activity in itself.I make my own bread (no machines or bread mixes)including flatbreads (eg pita) and crackers. My current bread bibles are:
'Flatbreads and Flavours': Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid. This book is fantastic. It has the traditional flatbread recipes plus dishes that are eaten with the breads and the stories of the people and events that surrounded the collection of the recipes from around the world.
'Bread Matters': Andrew Whitley covers all froms of bread including sourdough and gluten free.
'Baking Bread with Children': Warren Lee Cohen. Fabulous recipes along with hints, tips,techniques stories and songs.
Best wishes :)

Gillian said...

oh thank you so much soho stitch :)

What a wonderful list of books!!! and thank you also for taking the time to write a little info on them as well.

I have made 3 loaves and 1 lot of buns and am hooked!

I will be on the lookout for these titles.

Anonymous said...

Gillian,
Making bread is a matter of practice, even your first efforts will be good and it smells so good baking. Start simple--Fleishman's Yeast puts out an excellent booklet.
Good Luck,
Bonnie
Eugene, Oregon